Wrestle honey badgers! Start forest fires! Save the world as a beekeeper! FARA is a text-based roguelike that runs in your browser and has over 50 classes, a never-ending supply of dungeons, and countless secrets. The goal of the game is to collect enough Key Fragments to complete the Astral Key. Fragments can be found in many places - the depths of dangerous dungeons, the bottoms of lakes, or even in the pockets of unwitting strangers. Most notable actions in the game add to a score, and when you die, your score is added to a persistent total that unlocks new options the next time you play. FARA is in the alpha stage, and is buggy as hell. Feedback and bug reports are desired and encouraged!
Bug reports are particularly helpful at this stage, since there may or may not be a ton of issues, and they have the nasty tendency to stop the game dead in its tracks.
The desktop versions of FARA are updated monthly (with the exception of critical bug fixes), and the web version is updated a few times a week.
HOW TO PLAY
Use the [ Arrow Keys ] to move, press [ Tab ] to cycle through targets, [ E ] to interact, [ A ] to attack, and [ T ] to take things. There's way more to FARA, but that should be enough to get you
killed started. Collect 10 Key Fragments to save the world!
Latest Patch - 2018.12.14
- Reworked crafting for buildings - Buildings now have two primary components - outer walls and inner walls. Outer walls can only be made in the overworld, and making enough of them in the same location will allow you to craft a building. Inner walls can only be made in buildings, and they look and function similarly to other impassable tiles. The key difference is that crafted inner walls can be destroyed with digging tools, much like underground cavern walls.
- Added a new encounter type - Lairs. Lairs contain one beefy monster with unique attacks that require specific actions to avoid.
- Added struggle and focus to the list of actions possible while carrying things
- Added hours to the Days Survived stat
- Made several adjustments to the base travel speed. Traveling on foot is a little slower than before.
- Crafting very large or fixed items while indoors now gives the player the option to place the final product in an adjacent tile.
- Items can no longer be crafted when the crafter is completely exhausted.
- Made NPCs a little more conversational
- Children no longer disappear when returned home
- Changed the way Bomb Traps work - There is now a slight delay between stepping on the trap and its detonation, and its damage has been increased.
- Due to some quirky behavior with the running the desktop version of FARA through the itch.io app, the game's exit protection will now only be enabled for the brief periods when the game is saving, and is no longer a manual setting.
- Fixed a bug that caused Wrestlers to try body-slamming anything they were carrying instead of just enemies
- Slain players no longer drop their items, allowing the kill screen to give more accurate stats and scores at the time of death.
- Lots of tiny engine optimizations. The game should feel a little snappier across the board.
|Updated||7 hours ago|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, HTML5|
|Release date||May 20, 2018|
|Genre||Role Playing, Adventure|
|Tags||Endless, Fantasy, Perma Death, Procedural Generation, Retro, Roguelike, Sandbox, Singleplayer, Text based|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Accessibility||Color-blind friendly, Subtitles, High-contrast|
|Links||Discord, Community, Twitter, Patreon|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- 2018.12.14 Patch Notes23 hours ago
- 2018.10.02 Hotfix12 days ago
- Public Alpha 9 is LIVE - Lights! Doors! Danger!13 days ago
- 2018.11.16 Patch Notes29 days ago
- 2018.11.15 Patch Notes30 days ago
- 2018.11.13 Patch Notes31 days ago
- 2018.11.12 Patch Notes34 days ago
- 2018.11.11 Hotfix34 days ago